Voices.

So, I'm running today, right? Running along, breathing like I'm going to collapse on the sidewalk, sweating like crazy... Same as every other time I run. Only this time I became so aware of that damn nike+ lady's voice in my ear.  Telling me this, telling me that. Then Katy Perry chimes in, talking about, "get some cash out baby! Get some cash out baby... that's what you get for waking up in Vegas..." Woman, I didn't wake up in Vegas! I've never even been there.

Then Rihanna is all like, "Shut up and drive, drive, drive..." What the hell. I wish I were driving. I'm running my legs off.  Trying not to hyperventilate and die. You shut up Rihanna! I hate you right now.

That's when I turned that mess off. Ahhhh. Clarity. For a minute, I listened to my breathing. (It sounded awful.) I listened to my feet hit the pavement. I could hear my pulse. I could hear my own voice pushing me forward. Urging me up that hill. Telling me not to quit. 

So often we rely on devices and apps and drumbeats and lyrics to push us through. We have all of these outside forces yelling at us. And yes, they are motivators... Generally they help. I run WAY faster with Pink's pissed off voice blaring in my ears normally... But sometimes, every now and then, it's time to turn it all off.  And not just during a run. 

Let the quiet fill in around you. Be still. Get in tune. Block out all of those voices telling you to believe this, 'what if' that... All of the doubts and scenarios you conjure up in your pretty little head are fiction. Forget them just as quickly as they sneak up on you. Focus on the important stuff. You and the people you love and who love you. Forget those dumb voices.

Because a lot of the time, the only voice you really need to listen to is your own. 

Comments

Popular Posts