Water It Up. It Could be Thirsty!

Over the weekend we went out and bought some flowers. The front yard kind. Flower bed kind. That you plant and have to maintain. (Yikes.) Water. Nurture. Grow. I chose purple and white. And red. And also yellow because I'm not known for making up my mind quickly. And my man was on a mission in Lowe's. And it was not directed toward the front yard color scheme. So I just started throwing things in the basket. Until it was full. 

He remembered the potting soil, thank God. You see? I couldn't even remember that vital piece of growing goodness. (What would I do without him?)

Now, I'm not particularly gifted in the area of horticulture. Everything I try to grow eventually dies. I blame it on the Texas heat. Not my incredibly NON-green thumb. So, my husband says to me, "if I buy these and you plant them, you know you have to water them, right?"

I KNOW! Goodness, I'm not that landscape challenged! 

Okay, it's quite possible that I am.. But I'm getting better. ;)

Now, every day he turns to me and asks, "have you watered your plants today?" And I SO appreciate the reminder. Because usually, I have not. Even if I totally tell him that I have. He's kinda looking out for me and those plants. 

This got me thinking today as I uncoiled that darn hose to water my purples and whites and reds and yellows.. Our little family is like a garden sort of. Our kids need to be nurtured and watered and tended to. Our spouse. Ourselves.. We have to remember to tell them sweet things. Smile at them. Encourage. Water them up~! They could be thirsty. And thirst is a very dangerous thing. Fill them up, full to the brim. Have you done that today? Have you let someone know you were thinking of them? Your mom? Your bestie? Your daughter? Son? Husband? Dad? That's food for the soul, my friends. Just any little gesture. Everyone needs it. Just like my flowers.

So each time N asks me about those flowers that I usually have NOT watered yet, I remind myself to take care of my other roots.. Of the family variety. Because when things are watered and taken care of and loved, they prosper. They flourish. Are made strong. And grow like crazy! It's not that we intentionally leave these things out... We always mean well and want everyone to know how much they are loved.. It's just that we get out of the habit of making it known. And need to be reminded. 

So don't forget today. 

There you go. My little crazy thoughts on my new flowers and what they make me think of. Go on and plant something. Make your view more beautiful. In more ways than one. And take care of the little things. Tend to the delicate, precious things. 

It's not a hard thing to do. It's just really hard to remember to do sometimes. 

Photo creds go to Miss Melissa Fullmer here... She is amazing! You can find her here:  melissafullmer.com  These beautiful pictures are a few years old, but so fitting for this post! 









Comments

Popular Posts