Dark Side.

It's no secret I like dark, moody photographs. No secret at all. 

So, I keep hearing this song that comes on pandora when I run... It's called "dark side." by Kelly Clarkson. I like it. Kind of talks about how everyone has a dark side. I do. You do. You've even seen a dark side emerge from your children.. Not a vindictive, mean side, just a temper. A scream. A slammed door. You know, the moments when you think, "where did that come from?" It's not some bad thing, it's just part of that person. I blow up. I scream. I cry. I say things I don't mean at all. Usually for no real reason at all. And usually lash out at the people I love the very most. My mom when I was younger. My mom now that I'm 40. My kids. My husband. My best friend. I guess that is because they know me. Really know me. And I know it's okay to show them that when I need to get it out. 

Anyway, that set me on my course of my little shadow (dark side, if you will) project. I should have taken them of myself since I know I have a moody side that emerges now and then. Not very often, I hope. But, I had a couple of willing participants. And they are prettier than me. Much nicer to look at. :) These photographs are not about their dark side, because they are very sweet and mild mannered kids. (who sometimes throw fits.) They really couldn't be dark if they tried. It's about shadows and prettiness and light falling on their faces... Funny how you need beautiful, soft light in order to get dark, shadowy pieces. 

I set up a single light to their right side. I took the photos at various angles. In a dark room, high ISO. I kept it simple by only turning them black and white with the gradient map tool. Then, pumped up the contrast to make the whites whiter and the blacks blacker. Moody. I like it. 

Canon 5D Mark III, 50mm 1.8 lens












Comments

Popular Posts